The Sustainable Mobility department develops boosting tools for new ways of transport, urban areas mobility organization, companies’ intern-mobility, etc.
Our projects seek to provide a set of technological applications to improve and optimize urban mobility by making it more efficient and sustainable.
Some of the department’s objectives are the following:
- Provide alternative means and methods to the usual urban mobility.
- Enhancing the interoperability and integration between different means of urban transport.
- Integrating intelligent recharging systems for electric vehicles.
- Deploy and manage mobile offices for citizen services.
- Provide different tools for implementation and management of initiatives related to carsharing, carpooling, etc.
PUBLIC BICYCLE SERVICES (SBP)
Automatic, scalable and sustainable service
Public bicycle systems are bicycle lending services in urban centres, generally driven by the public administration.
They differ from traditional bicycle rental services, which are more oriented towards leisure or tourism, because they are designed to provide a practical and fast mobility service for everyday use. So that, they can be considered as an individual public transport.
Public bicycle systems can currently be divided into two types, manual or personal care systems and automatic systems.
ITCL has designed and developed its own Bicicard product, with more than 10 years of experience in the sector and 64% of the implementations in Spain and Portugal. It is characterized by being automatic, scalable and flexible in terms of operation, location and application of tariffs.
These systems provide a group of users with a series of bicycles to be used temporarily as means of transport. They make it possible to pick up a bicycle and return it at a different point, so that the user only needs to have the bicycle in his possession during the journey.
The bicycle can be left at any of the other points. Thus the bicycle becomes one more means of public transport, which can be used to go from one stop to any other in the city, without the need to return to the original point.
- BICIBUR, bicycle lending service in Burgos, Spain
- BICIOURENSE, bicycle lending service in Ourense, Spain
- En bici por Avilés, bicycle lending service in Aviles, Spain
- BICINRIVAS, bicycle lending service in Rivas, Spain
- BiBa, bicycle lending service in Badajoz, Spain
- Denibici, bicycle lending service in Denia, Spain
- Bicisanvi, bicycle lending service in San Vicente de Raspeig, Spain
MOBILITY AND TRANSPORT PLANS
Sustainable mobility management
Current mobility habits in cities are characterised by continuous urban expansion and increasing dependence on private vehicles, resulting in high space and energy consumption and environmental impacts. This highlights the need for a well-designed urban transport system that is less dependent on fossil fuels. To achieve this, resources have to be made available, measures implemented and trends changed, all of which requires the awareness and involvement of society as a whole and collaboration between the different administrations in order to achieve integral solutions that imply a change in the trend towards sustainability in urban mobility.
The current patterns of urban mobility and their consequences highlight the need to act immediately to alleviate their negative effects and try to reach a sustainable city level. The implementation of sustainable mobility plans is a tool to achieve this objective. Likewise, work mobility plans are an instrument for companies and workers to reduce the impacts generated by commuting to workplaces.
The mobility plans aim to integrate all the benefits associated with sustainable transport.
Valoración estadística de los viajes y desplazamientos
Análisis del tráfico en el entorno de estudio. Propuestas de mejora.
Nuevas propuestas para una movilidad más eficiente
Interrelaciones de las propuestas de mejora de la movilidad en el entorno de estudio.
Evaluación de la viabilidad técnica y económica, ahorro ambiental e impacto socioeconómico
Análisis de la movilidad a nivel urbano, zonas empresariales y en empresas
Evaluación de la influencia de los desplazamientos en función de los centros de atracción existente
Análisis del entorno. Situación actual y propuestas de mejora
Evaluación de la influencia de los desplazamientos en función de los centros de atracción existentes
Reuniones de participación con agentes implicados
Technologies at the service of the intelligent city
Cities play an important role in social and economic development. Today 50% of the global population lives in cities, and it is estimated that by 2050 the urban population will double from 3.3 billion to 6.4 billion. The main 100 urban agglomerations account for 25% of global growth. The rapid urbanization creates an enormous stress in the development of the countries, originating “megacities” (more than 10 million people) on the world development.
Countries’ development is also reinvested in stressful, in terms of congestion, pollution and land use, cities. A 2% occupation of world soil would cause 75% of the greenhouse emissions; therefore, cities should lead the efforts in reducing carbon emissions and in increasing renewable energies use.
ICTs and more specifically, new technologies and services through the Internet will be essential for cities in terms of developing sustainable socioeconomic and environmental changes in a carbonless world. ICTs can help with managing the increasing demand for a better life quality within urban environments.
Smart City aims to increase the prevalence of the political and commercial vision for the urban future, responding to the pressures and changes presented by population growth, sustainable changes and advances in digital technology.
“Smart City” initiative
The “Smart City” initiative focuses on the sustainability issues of today’s cities and, more specifically, energy systems (European Commission, 2010). In this case, a Smart City is defined as a city that improves the quality of life and the local economy, moving towards a future low in CO2 emissions. Investments in energy efficiency and local renewable energies, together with reductions in fossil energy consumption and CO2 emissions, are tools that help achieve sustainability and improve city’s quality life.
Smart City involves innovative measures in energy management (including transport networks, buildings and transport), greatly reducing the use of fossil fuels and reducing CO2 emissions, all focused on meeting the 2020 targets of the Smart Cities initiative.
IIn this sense, ITCL carries out projects with public administrations and companies in the sector for the development and innovation of processes and technologies that favour the implementation of Smart City in the fields of energy, transport, ICT’s with turnkey solutions for the benefit of citizens, companies and administrations.
ITCL developments in sustainable mobility
BICICARD: AUTOMATIC BICYCLE LOAN
- Implement an affordable, practical and easy-to-use public bicycle loan system.
- Promote the use of the bicycle as an alternative to regular, clean and healthy transport.
- Complement the public transport network in cities
- Loan points (supply and return of bicycles):
– Bicycle park bench with variable number of places for bicycles.
– Interactive column with card reader (Multimedia Information Point (MIP) / User Access Terminal (TAU)).
- Software/Control Center Online
SCALABLE AND CONFIGURABLE SYSTEM
- Parking lots with variable capacity.
- Expandable both in the number of loan points and in the number of bicycles.
- Adaptable to different types of vehicles (adapted bicycle, electric bicycle, electric scooter…)
- Interactive column with various functionalities (multi-language, advertising, rental, integration into the public transport network, payment by card…).
- Homologated with the use of different types of card for the user (citizen card, pre-payment, transport, credit card…).
- Versatile system, functional and fully integrated into the urban environment.
- Ease of use.
- Web management software with restricted access: On-Line Control Center.
- Information on the availability of bicycles and management in real time.
- Traceability of all data related to users, bicycles, loans, sanctions, etc.
- Compliance with standards and CE marking. Electromagnetic Compatibility.
CARPOOLING PRIVATE COLLECTIVE TRANSPORT
ELECTRONIC DEVICE FOR PRIVATE COLLECTIVE TRANSPORT
Technology to promote the sustainable use of the private vehicle.
Car_Pooling TEC is an electronic device for management and control of passenger occupation in vehicles.
This technology has the following purposes:
- Promote vehicle sharing through new technologies.
- Facilitate the registration of shared trips thanks to the electronic registration of the same via GPRS.
- Facilitate the analysis of trips thanks to the GPS record of the routes made.
- Allow managers to have a technology that controls and manages the shared use of vehicles to promote fares, access control, etc. ….
The control of the occupation of passengers in private vehicles with the technology CAR_POOLING TEC has the following applications:
- Cities/Ayuntamientos: Control of access to areas of the city restricted to vehicles with a passenger, application of incentives…
- Interiors: public parking, parking restricted to persons, airports, etc.
- University campuses, institutes and colleges…
- Companies, industrial areas, etc., which generate significant movements of workers (industrial estates, warehouses, office buildings…) in access control, occupation of car parks, etc…
- Tolls, high occupancy lanes.
- Taxis and public passenger services.
- User control: the Car_Pooling TEC system bases its operation on the communication through GPRS of the events that have occurred in the vehicle (route, ascent and descent of passengers), and the subsequent analysis of the information through an application made in web technology.
- In-vehicle technology: each vehicle incorporates the Car_Pooling TEC device with the following functions:
- GPS location.
- User identification via RFID card.
- Transmission of information via GPRS.
- Automatic data download system via GPRS
- Software and Web Application: The software supply is based on a Web application that is the operational base of the control center.
Currently there are two versions that allow the control of users and routes made by the vehicle, through the use of RFID cards and wireless connection in the updated version
E-BICICARD: LOAN AND RECHARGING OF ELECTRIC BICYCLES
It offers a service in which bicycles are available for public use with the aim of promoting their use as a regular, clean and healthy means of transport.
- Loan points (supply and return of bicycles):
- Bicycle park bench with variable number of places for bicycles.
- Interactive column with RFID card reader (multimedia information point / PIM).
- Electric bicycles -helps pedalling.
- Software/Control Center on-line
It’s an intelligent recharging system
- Automatic detection of the need to recharge parked bicycles.
- Management of the battery charge level control:
- Definition of a minimum level to enable the loan.
- Cutting off the supply once the maximum level has been reached.
- Control of the electrical consumption carried out in each charge and its economic cost
Charging system for electric bicycles for automatic loan of bicycles:
- Anchorage of the bicycle and load using the anchorage element or bolt.
- Autonomous management of the battery charging system.
- Intelligent system with load level control and consumption measurement.
- Safety system to avoid discharges.
- CE Marking: Complies with European Low Voltage Directives (DC 73/23/CEE) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (DC 89/336/CEE).
Installation of points of loan or rent of bicycles e-Bicicard in:
- Cities/Ayuntamientos: Public bicycle lending service.
- Hotel establishments, leisure centres, tourist facilities, etc., for customers and visitors.
- Interiors: public car parks, private community car parks, airports, etc.
- University campuses, institutes and colleges…
- Inter-modal transport: train stations, metro, bus.
Companies, industrial areas, etc., which generate significant displacements of workers (industrial estates, warehouses, office buildings, etc.)
MOVE-PARKING: ELECTRIC BIKES FOR CAR PARKS
MovE-Parking is an innovative system for lending electric bicycles for car parks and garages.
It offers a service in which bicycles are available to car park users with the aim of promoting sustainable, electric and healthy mobility.
Its management software allows an immediate loan process, the parking operator or manager can check the availability of the bicycles and select any number to release them and make them available to parking users.
The system allows its perfect integration with the car park management system.
With MovE-Parking you can:
- To offer an innovative and intermodal service to customers.
- To encourage and facilitate the use of bicycles as a clean and healthy alternative to the mobility needs of citizens and car park users.
- Encourage the use of the car park thanks to the additional bicycle loan service.
- Publicize and identify the car park through a mobile service with presence in the city, thanks to its use by the user.
- Provide the car park with an avant-garde image, technological, mobile and integrated into the urban network of the city, as well as respectful of the environment.
The MovE-Parking system is a versatile system with multiple options to adapt to customer requirements, from its full automation, incorporation of GPS on bicycles, possibility of pricing and charging for the use of bicycles, incorporation of advertising supports, complementarity with electric vehicle charging stations, etc.
MOVE-HOTEL: LOAN OF BICYCLES IN HOTELS
MovE-Hotel® is an electric bicycle loan system without the assistance of personnel, thanks to the use of the Hotel’s own card.
The system allows:
- To offer an innovative and avant-garde service to customers.
- Publicize and identify the hotel through a mobile service with presence in the city, thanks to its use by the user.
- Maximize the profitability of “unused” spaces in the Hotel (garage – foyer), incorporating an additional and autonomous service.
- Facilitate the mobility of customers through an alternative and respectful means, maximizing the occupation of available parking.
- Improve the integration of the clients with the Hotel environment, favouring a better knowledge of it and increasing its permanence in the city.
- To provide the Hotel with an avant-garde, technological, mobile and integrated image in the urban network of the city; as well as respectful with the environment.
The MovE-Hotel system is fully customizable according to the corporate image of the Hotel, both in the image of the bicycle, as in the advertising displayed, loan modules and management software.
- Modularity: Its modular system of anchorage for two bicycles allows the installation to be climbed to a greater number of loan stations, thus achieving maximum use of the available surface area. This allows rapid scalability depending on the seasonality of the year and/or the demand aroused.
- Centralization: A single control point allows the management of all the loan points. Thanks to its flexibility, it is possible to set up several control points for the same installation.
- Intelligent Cargo: The system automatically interlocks the bicycle, identifies it and charges it, maximising the useful life of your battery.
- Simplicity of Use: The simple identification with the Hotel card and the room number allows the use of the bicycle with total autonomy, freeing the Hotel Reception from the management of the loan.
- Simplicity of its Management: Its management software allows an immediate user Checkin and Checkout process, additionally informing of the location of each electric bicycle, client, points of interest visited, etc.
- The system allows its perfect integration with the Hotel management system.