Wedge Global – Cyber-physical system for data collection buoy operation
Development of a cyber-physical system (CPS) that allows the integration and operation of an industrial-scale wave energy harvesting buoy. The system includes optimization algorithms, control and transmission of commands and data based on machine learning, parametric models and dynamic systems.
EMBEDDED SYSTEMS | CYBER-PHYSICAL SYSTEMS | ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
INDUSTRIAL STARTING POINT
Wedge Global, a leader in wave energy, sought to improve the performance of a wave energy harvester so that the generator buoy itself would manage the operation of the generator to increase energy extraction in a way that would ensure maximum resonance of the harvester with the wave.
The solution provided by ITCL Centro Tecnológico has been a cyber-physical system (CPS) that allows the integration and operation of the catcher buoy. The system has included optimization algorithms, control and transmission of commands and data based on automatic learning, parametric models and dynamic systems, which are integrated into a customized electronic system adapted to Wedge Global’s needs.
The CPS system developed allows:
- Predict wave dynamics
- Optimize force setpoints from parametric equations.
- Acquire different types of data such as swell information, coil position, communication, etc.
Wedge Global has achieved with this collaboration to generate a first point energy absorber, with an optimized control and management system based on a complete CPS system, developed in a real environment and based on machine learning, which has managed to maximize the efficiency of its operation.
The implementation of the solution was carried out in several milestones:
- Development and integration of cyber-physical systems and models and development of prediction and optimization models.
- Laboratory tests for model integration, simulation and analysis.
- Adequacy of the models developed on the sensor buoy and data collection.
- Analysis of results and redesign
ROLE OF ITCL
ITCL has fully contributed the design of the cyber-physical system (CPS), the integration of the systems in the catcher buoy and the development of wave behavior prediction and optimization models
- Cyber-physical system on Linux distribution.
- Integration of microprocessor, based on ARM architecture, with sufficient computing power, processing and operating speed to achieve the level of data processing required in the cyber-physical system.
- HTTPS secure protocols in IOT elements.
- Development of a high-level control based on Artificial Intelligence capable of managing the operation of the generator.
- Increased wave energy harvesting performance.
PARTICIPATING COMPANIES AND PROFILE
Javier Sedano – R&D Director at ITCL Technology Center